SNAP'n SAFE Surface Mount Breakaway Anchor For U-Channel Post
For 2–4 lbs./ft. U-channel posts and concrete surfaces only
- Item #
- NCHRP 350 Approved
SNAP'n SAFE Surface Mount Breakaway Anchor For U-Channel Post is an NCHRP 350 compliant breakaway base that is designed with a 360° shear point that will prevent the u-channel sign post from striking and penetrating the windshield or roof of a vehicle when impacted during a collision.
After impact the upper section of the SNAP’n SAFE remains inside the post. Unfasten hardware and SNAP’n SAFE can be removed easily. Once impacted, the entire SNAP’n SAFE breakaway has to be replaced. Replacement of sign post depends on impact conditions.
This product is ideal for locations where installing an anchor post is not suitable, such as parking garages, parking lots, and concrete medians. We do not recommend installing on brick surfaces because they are not a permanent stable surface.
This base fits 2 lbs./ft., 3 lbs./ft., and 4 lbs./ft. U-channel posts, and is intended for concrete surfaces only. It is not to be used on asphalt surfaces due to structural integrity issues with asphalt. It weighs 10 lbs. and is made of cast gray iron, 80% of which is recycled material. It can also withstand winds of up to 120 mph. All ground mounting and post mounting hardware is included.
SNAP'n SAFE™ U-Channel Post Surface Mount Breakaway
This SNAP'n SAFE™ Breakaway Device is made of cast gray iron, and withstands winds of 120 MPH. Made from 80% recycled materials.
Installation instructions are included with every SNAP'n SAFE U-Channel post surface mount breakaway device. It is recommended that this breakaway be installed on concrete surfaces only due to the strength of concrete as compared to asphalt.
- Tools required
- ½″ socket and ratchet wrench
- 9/16″ socket and ratchet wrench
- Remove any burrs or imperfections from the 2 lbs./ft., 3 lbs./ft., or 4 lbs./ft. signpost.
- Check the hole location of the signpost and anchor post. The bottom hole of the signpost must be ½″ on center (+/- ⅛″) from the end of the signpost.
- Determine the location for the surface mount coupler.
(Please note that all bolts must be at least 5 inches from all concrete edges.)
- Place surface mount coupler on the concrete surface and place the signpost on top of the coupler. Using a level, determine if any washers are needed under the base at the hole location to level out the signpost.
- Using the surface mount coupler as a template, mark the location of the three (3) holes to drill. With a ⅜ inch drill bit, drill three (3) holes at least 4½″ deep. It is not necessary to blow the holes out or clean them out.
- Clean off the concrete surface and align the coupler with the holes. Place any necessary washers under the base as determined in Step 4.
- Put one (1) washer on each bolt and install the three (3) bolts.
(DO NOT tighten all the way until you are certain that the base is level and all three (3) hole locations are firmly resting on the washers or concrete.)
Note: The bolts are carbon steel and are extremely hard. They have a 3,800-pound pull-out strength.
- Align the signpost to the SNAP'n SAFE coupler and attach using the (2) hex bolts, (2) nuts, and (2) washers. MAX TORQUE = 19 FT-LBS.