How To Report A Downed or Missing Traffic Sign

Given that road signs play a vital role in ensuring the safety and efficiency of traffic flow, it’s easy to imagine the complexities that emerge when a sign becomes damaged or goes missing. Should you ever encounter a scenario where you see a missing sign or are involved in an accident leading to a sign’s displacement, it’s essential to follow the necessary procedures to report it.

How to Report a Missing Sign

Did you know that hitting a traffic sign and driving off is illegal and can lead to hit-and-run charges if you are caught?

When faced with needing to make a report of a downed sign, here are some things you can do.

Contact the public works office or the transportation department within the local government. If you’re unsure who to contact, call the local non-emergency law enforcement number. In some states, you can even contact the DMV and report the damage to the road sign.

Phoning 911 is also an option if you or someone else has been hurt or if the downed sign is in a location that could be hazardous to other motorists. They can also transfer you to the correct department if you do not know who to call, but this should be saved as a last-resort option. For more information on what to do when a sign is hit, click here.

How to replace a missing or damaged street sign

Occasionally, depending on the area, the municipality will hold off on replacing the street sign because it may not seem as dangerous. If this is the case, you can make your concerns heard to the department in charge of replacing the sign.

It’s important to note that if the sign hit or is missing is a stop sign (or another sign that is important to road safety for drivers), a report should be made immediately. If you aren’t sure who to call, or if it’s after business hours, contacting 911 to report it is the safest and quickest option. Click here for more information on what to do to report a missing sign.

Calling in and reporting the downed sign not only helps keep drivers and their constituents safe from potential accidents and fatalities, but it also helps the local government do its job more effectively.

At, we carry all the needed supplies and up-to-date road signs at low prices with fast shipping. Here are some examples of our most popular road sign safety solutions:

Previous Post

Top 10 OSHA Violations 2016

Next Post

Safety Tips for Handling Hazardous Chemicals