4ft. and 6ft. Green U-Channel Posts
|1.12 lbs./ft. Green Enamel-Coated Steel||Y3484||$17.95||$15.50||$14.95||$14.50||$14.15||$12.45|
|1.12 lbs./ft. Green Enamel-Coated Steel||Y3433||$25.50||$24.45||$23.00||$22.45||$20.75||$19.00|
Bolting Set (2 bolts, 2 nuts, 4 washers)
Y4931, Y4899, Y3465
Tamperproof Set (2-bolts, 2-nuts, 4-washers)
Y4900, Y4901, Y3551
U-Channel Post Tamperproof Sign Mounting Hardware
3/16 x 1-1/2" Bolting Set (2 bolts, 2 nuts, 4 washers)
One Way Bolts
Y4911TB, Y4912TB, Y3552
5/16" Zinc Plated Washers
5/16" Break-Away Nuts
5/16" Nylon Washers
Screwdriver for SignGuardian™ and 1-Way R™ Bolts
4lb. Steel U-Channel Post Protector For Post Installation
32lb. Steel U-Channel Post Driver
U-Channel Post Specifications, Installation and Sign Mounting
U-Channel post has been one of the most preferred posts for displaying traffic signs, parking signs, and property signs for years because of its affordability and unique design that provides a great support area for signs. The sections below will provide specifications for all our U-Channel posts, installation requirements and tips, as well as sign mounting instructions.
U-Channel Post Specifications
|Post Size||Post Material||Post Weight/Ft.||Post Width||Hole Size & Placement||Shipping||Recommended Use|
|3 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||UPS & FedEx||Breakaway Anchor Post|
|4 ft.||Green Enamel||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||UPS & FedEx||Portable Stands - Non-Official Use|
|6 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||1.12 lbs./ft.||2.037″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||UPS & FedEx||Delineators, Reflectors, Address Signs, Non-Official Use|
|6 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||UPS & FedEx||Delineators, Reflectors, Address Signs, Non-Official Use|
|8 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||UPS & FedEx||Parking Signs, Property Signs, Traffic Signs|
|10 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||Freight Only||Parking Signs, Property Signs, Traffic Signs|
|12 ft.||Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||3⅛″||3/8″ dia. on 1″ centers||Freight Only||Parking Signs, Property Signs, Traffic Signs|
U-Channel Post Installation
The following table details the recommended installation depth for U-Channel posts without the use of an anchor post. SafetySign.com recommends the use of an anchor post with every post installation to increase safety in the event of a vehicle collision with the post, and to help maximize the amount of available space on the post for mounting a sign.
|Post Size||Post Material||Post Weight/Ft.||Recommended Installation Depth*||Bolt Size Requirements|
|3 ft. Anchor||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||30″ - 32″||Use Breakaway Hardware
to Connect to Sign Post
|4 ft.||Green Enamel||2 lbs./ft.||Up to 18″||2-1/2″ Long|
|6 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||1.12 lbs./ft.||18″ - 24″||1-1/2″ Long|
|6 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||18″ - 24″||2-1/2″ Long|
|8 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||30″ - 36″||2-1/2″ Long|
|10 ft.||Green Enamel & Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||36″ - 42″||2-1/2″ Long|
|12 ft.||Galvanized||2 lbs./ft.||36″ - 42″||2-1/2″ Long|
* Installation Depth Notes:
- The depth numbers we are providing are general guidelines and do not take into account the different types of soil in your specific location. When possible, it is ideal to install U-Channel posts to a depth of 30″ - 36″.
- A breakaway system should be used when installing posts on public roadways and on private roads open to public travel such as those running through a non-gated corporate complex or shopping center. Our breakaway anchor post should be installed approximately 32″ into the ground.
- Be aware of frost lines as they vary by region of the country.
U-Channel Post Sign Mounting
There are two types of hardware that can be used for mounting signs to a U-Channel post; a standard hex-head bolt set, or a tamperproof one-way bolt set.
Installing Standard Hex-Head Bolts
- Our Y4899 or Y3465 bolt sets.
- A ½″ socket and ratchet wrench, and ½″ combination wrench.
- Place the sign on the U-Channel post where it meets your height requirement and line up the mounting holes with the holes on the post.
- Using our Y3465 or Y3550 bolt sets, insert a washer over the 5/16″ bolts and then insert the bolts into the mounting holes of the sign and through the post.
- Insert a washer on the other end of the bolt followed by the nut and tighten the nut down.
- Add a pair of our ribbed sign saver plates that prevents the possibility of sign dimpling during bolt tightening.
Installing Tamperproof One-Way Bolt Set
- Our Y4900TS or Y4901TS bolt sets.
- Our Y4965 screwdriver with for one-way bolts.
- ⅝″ socket and ratchet wrench
- Using our Y4901TS or Y3551 bolt sets, insert a washer over the 5/16″ bolts and then insert the bolts into the mounting holes of the sign and through the post.
- Insert a washer on the other end of the bolt followed by the breakaway nut with the cone end facing the post.
- Tighten the nut down until it shears from the cone.
|Enamel-Coated Steel Steel painted with a green powder coat to help resist rusting and corrosion. A more economical choice than galvanized.||
|None||Engineering Grade||High Intensity Prismatic||Diamond Grade|
|ATSM D956 Type||–||Type I||Type IV||Type IX|
|Brightness||–||Standard Material||3x More||10x More|