Road Work Ahead Roll-Up Sign
MUTCD W20-1. Includes velcro strips for overlays
- Item #
- Roll-Up Sign Design
The roll-up versions of this sign are provided with velcro strips around the word AHEAD to accomodate different overlay messages. Overlay sizes shown are 22 x 7″ for 36″ and 28 x 9″ for 48″.
- MUTCD TTC Signs
- NCHRP 350 Approved
Other configurations of this product are Flag Trees.
Let motorists know they should be alert as they come across road work, construction, or men at work. This orange Road Work Ahead sign is available in reflective and non-reflective versions, and as roll-up vinyl or aluminum materials. This Road Work Ahead Temporary Traffic Control Sign is MUTCD TTC and MUTCD W20-1 compliant and includes velcro strips for overlays.
Frequently Purchased Together
Section 6F.18 ROAD (STREET) WORK Sign (W20-1)
- The ROAD (STREET) WORK (W20-1) sign which serves as a general warning of obstructions or restrictions, should be located in advance of the work space or any detour, on the road where the work is taking place.
- The ROAD (STREET) WORK (W20-1) sign shall have the legend ROAD (STREET) WORK, XX FEET, XX MILES, or AHEAD.
Source: 2009 MUTCD
When to Use 36″ and 48″ Temporary Warning Signs
According to the MUTCD:
|Type of Roadway||Sign Size|
|Conventional Road||36 × 36″|
|Freeway or Expressway||48 × 48″|
Transportation engineers may find this answer acceptable since they have a deeper understanding of the MUTCD than most, but not everyone has this knowledge. Luckily, definitions of these terms are provided to help make some sense of what they are trying to convey. Here’s how the MUTCD defines each of those types of roadways:
- "Conventional Road" is a "street or highway other than a low-volume road, expressway, or freeway."
- "Low-Volume Road" is a facility lying outside of developed areas of cities, towns, and communities, which serves fewer than 400 vehicles per day on average. A low-volume road shall not be a freeway, an expressway, an interchange ramp, a freeway service road, a road on a designated State highway system, or a residential street in a neighborhood.
- "Expressway" is a divided highway with partial control of access.
- "Freeway" is a divided highway with full control of access.
Still confused? It's not just you. Generally speaking, if the road is a divided highway with a concrete barrier or median, a 48 × 48″ sign will be required. A 36 × 36″ sign can be used on all other types of roadways.
Roll-up signs material grades
- Fluorescent Non-Reflective Solid Vinyl signs are recommended for day time use only, this material is not MUTCD compliant when used at night.
- Fluorescent Super Bright Reflective Vinyl signs are MUTCD compliant when used day or night.
Roll-Up Sign Bracket Compatibility
- Compatible with Latch Brackets.
- Compatible with Universal Brackets.
- Compatible with all Roll-up Brackets.
- View and order sign stands with roll-up bracket options.
Roll-Up Sign Features
- Unit Weight, without flags: 4 lb
- Unit Weight, with flags: 5 lb
- Storage Size: 4" x 4" x 50"
Roll-Up Sign with Flag Assembly
Our folding flag system allows permanent attachment of two 18" fluorescent orange vinyl flags. Flags roll up with the sign for easy storage and fast deployment. Sliding clips quickly lock flags in their open position.
Roll-Up Sign Plastic Corner Pockets
At 3/4" deep, the Delta Rib Pocket is designed to be easier to deploy than conventional pockets. Made of tough polycarbonate, it features increased strength and the smallest storage diameter in the industry.
Featuring a full depth design, rectangular pockets are typically used at the top and bottom of the sign. Made of tough polycarbonate, they will fit all pocket style sign holders.
The image above shows the overlay size applicable to this legend for either the 36" or 48" sign.
Several of the roll-up signs on this website will have velcro added to specific words that allows for multiple messages to be displayed using a single roll-up sign. Overlays are made from the same material as the sign and come with velcro strips on the back.
Rigid Aluminum Signs
Rigid signs material grades
- .080" Fluorescent Diamond Grade Work Zone Reflective Aluminum signs are MUTCD compliant when used day or night.
Rigid Sign Bracket / Stand Compatibility
- Compatible only with Rigid Sign Brackets
- List of products on the website with Rigid Sign Brackets
Rigid Sign Features
- Sign weight: 11 lb
- Mounting holes: 2 holes at 3/8" diameter, positioned top and bottom
2009 Edition Part 6 Figure 6F-2. Methods of Mounting Signs Other Than on Posts
The fourth example shows an orange diamond-shaped sign with a black border and letters with the words "UTILITY WORK AHEAD" in three lines mounted on a vertical pole that is mounted on four horizontal supports. The distance from the bottom of the sign to the bottom of the supports is labeled as "1 ft MIN. above the traveled way." At the top of the sign, three orange flags are shown mounted equidistant apart from each other on short staffs that extend out from the top of the vertical pole at 45-degree angles.