Detour Ahead Rigid Sign
- Item #
- MUTCD TTC Signs
- OSHA 1910.1200(c)
- Shipping Declarations
This Detour Ahead Sign is designed to be used as a warning to drivers that a detour is ahead because the street is closed. This orange Detour Ahead sign is available in reflective and non-reflective versions, and as roll-up vinyl or aluminum materials. This Road Work Temporary Traffic Control Sign is MUTCD TTC and MUTCD W20-2 compliant.
Other available signs:
Frequently Purchased Together
Section 6F.19 DETOUR Sign (W20-2)
- The DETOUR (W20-2) sign should be used in advance of a road user detour over a different roadway or route.
- The DETOUR sign shall have the legend DETOUR, XX FEET, XX MILES, or AHEAD.
Source: 2009 MUTCD
When to Use 36″ and 48″ Temporary Warning Signs
According to the MUTCD:
|Type of Roadway||Sign Size|
|Conventional Road||36 × 36″|
|Freeway or Expressway||48 × 48″|
Transportation engineers may find this answer acceptable since they have a deeper understanding of the MUTCD than most, but not everyone has this knowledge. Luckily, definitions of these terms are provided to help make some sense of what they are trying to convey. Here’s how the MUTCD defines each of those types of roadways:
- "Conventional Road" is a "street or highway other than a low-volume road, expressway, or freeway."
- "Low-Volume Road" is a facility lying outside of developed areas of cities, towns, and communities, which serves fewer than 400 vehicles per day on average. A low-volume road shall not be a freeway, an expressway, an interchange ramp, a freeway service road, a road on a designated State highway system, or a residential street in a neighborhood.
- "Expressway" is a divided highway with partial control of access.
- "Freeway" is a divided highway with full control of access.
Still confused? It's not just you. Generally speaking, if the road is a divided highway with a concrete barrier or median, a 48 × 48″ sign will be required. A 36 × 36″ sign can be used on all other types of roadways.
Rigid Aluminum Signs
Rigid signs material grades
- .080" Fluorescent Diamond Grade Work Zone Reflective Aluminum signs are MUTCD compliant when used day or night.
Rigid Sign Bracket / Stand Compatibility
- Compatible only with Rigid Sign Brackets
- List of products on the website with Rigid Sign Brackets
Rigid Sign Features
- Sign Weight: 11 lb
- Mounting holes: 2 holes at 3/8" diameter, positioned top and bottom
2009 Edition Part 6 Figure 6F-2. Methods of Mounting Signs Other Than on Posts
The fourth example shows an orange diamond-shaped sign with a black border and letters with the words "UTILITY WORK AHEAD" in three lines mounted on a vertical pole that is mounted on four horizontal supports. The distance from the bottom of the sign to the bottom of the supports is labeled as "1 ft MIN. above the traveled way." At the top of the sign, three orange flags are shown mounted equidistant apart from each other on short staffs that extend out from the top of the vertical pole at 45-degree angles.