Base-Bolted Sign Support System
U-Channel Post Breakaway System
This breakaway system will support any type of warning, regulatory or guide signs, from small signs on single posts to very large signs or sign clusters on multiple posts. Base-bolted sign posts also work well for construction and temporary signing.
Use this sign support our 2 lbs./ft. U-Channel Posts.
This post anchor + bolting set system can be driven in to strong or weak soil and does not require a concrete foundation, however, when installed in weak soil a soil plate is required on each sign post.
This breakaway sign support system has been crash tested in strong and weak soil and have been adjusted to satisfy the requirements of 1985 AASHTO Standard specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires and Traffic Signals and the National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 230.
Components: (2) 1" diameter x 5/8" thick steel spacers. (2) grade 9 hex head bolts measuring 5/16 x 2-1/4", (2) lock washers, (2) washers and (2) nuts
The splice hardware is cadmium plated in accordance with the requirements of ASTM A165-80, TYPE OS.
Breakaway Sign Post System / Safety Splice
This breakaway system consists of the components specified below and has been designed to break away at the stub upon impact. When the assembly is struck the only part that suffers any damage is the top post making it easier to replace and install a new top post using the 3' anchor already in the ground.
- One 3 ft Post Anchor (2 lb/ft green u-channel post) to be used only with 8 ft or 10ft top posts.
- Two high-performance Grade 9 full thread bolts, two unique cylindrical spacers and nuts.
Our U-Channel Breakaway Sign Post System offers a tensile strength of 70,000 PSI - exactly the right strength for break-away post systems. All this strength, vehicle impact is transmitted through the post to the splice hardware. Systems using higher yield strength posts are brittle and can fracture at the point of impact (bumper height), scraping the bottom of the vehicle or puncturing the passenger compartment, the fuel tank, or both.
Our breakaway sign post system costs considerably less than other competitive U-channel break-away systems. We only use two special bolts and spacers to join the base to the top post, your installation crews can install more posts faster; they will spend less time working by the side of the road, thus reducing their exposure to the risk of traffic-related injuries.
This system securely nests and bolts two U-Channel posts together, yet breaks away on impact. The system has been tested and approved for multiple post installations. For single or multiple post installations, our Breakaway System stands up to a variety of wind pressure conditions and meets the new FHWA guidelines.
Breakaway Sign Post Installation:
- Dig a small, shallow hole approximately 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep; drive the ground post into the center of the hole leaving the top 4 inches above grade level exposed.
- Place one bolt in the 1st and 5th holes in the ground post. Slide a spacer and push-on retaining washer onto each bolt, leaving both bolts ends exposed.
- The top post is then nested over the end of the ground post and seated on the bolts. Lock nuts and washers are then installed and tightened and the earth around the post hole replaced and tamped firmly to complete the installation.