SNAP’n SAFE Square Sign Post Breakaway
- Item #
- NCHRP 350 Approved
The Y3540-2252SQC coupler to be used with 2″ Top Post + 2¼″ Anchor Post.
SNAP’n SAFE Square Sign Post Breakaway is an NCHRP 350 compliant breakaway sign post system that is designed with a 360° shear point that will prevent the sign post from striking and penetrating the windshield or roof of a vehicle when impacted during a collision.
After impact the upper section of the SNAP’n SAFE remains inside the post while the lower section of the breakway remains inside the anchor post. Unfasten hardware & SNAP’n SAFE can be removed easily. Once impacted, the entire SNAP’n SAFE breakaway has to be replaced.
Replacement of sign post depends on impact conditions. Anchor posts have favorable results of staying in place for reuse, saving you money and requiring less labor for repairs.
This breakaway sign post system is available for 1-3/4" and 2" sign posts. The 1-3/4" model connects a 1-3/4" sign post to a 2" anchor post, and the 2" model connects a 2" sign post to a 2-1/4" anchor post. The 1-3/4" model weighs 2.8 lbs., and the 2" model weighs 3.1 lbs.
Both are made of cast gray iron, 80% of which is recycled material, and they can also withstand winds of up to 120 mph. All necessary hardware is included to connect the assembly to both the anchor post and sign post.
Frequently Purchased Together
SNAP'n SAFE™ Square Post Breakaway Coupler
This SNAP'n SAFE™ Breakaway Device is made of cast gray iron, and withstands winds of 120 MPH. Made from 80% recycled materials.
Installation instructions are included with every SNAP'n SAFE square post breakaway device and are provided here for reference purposes.
- Tools required
- ½″ socket and ratchet wrench
- Remove any burrs or imperfections from the inside of the signpost and the anchor post.
- Check the hole location of the signpost and anchor post. The top holes on the anchor post must be ½″ on center (± ⅛″) from the top of the anchor post. The bottom holes of the signpost must be ½″ on center (± ⅛″) from the end of the signpost.
- Determine the location for the in-ground anchor post.
- Drive anchor posts into the ground so only three (3) holes are visible. The anchor post must be straight and level at the completion of the installation.
- Insert the larger end of the SNAP'n SAFE coupler into the ground anchor post.
- Attach the SNAP'n SAFE coupler to the anchor post with the (2) larger RED corner bolts. Use the 1st and 3rd hole in the anchor post for proper alignment. Fasten (1) washer and (1) nut on each RED bolts. Secure hardware evenly by tightening each nut in an alternating pattern.
Note: RED bolts must be installed on the same side of the post. MAX TORQUE = 21 FT-LBS.
- Slide the signpost over the top half of the SNAP'n SAFE coupler and attach with the (2) smaller SILVER corner bolts. Use the 2nd and 3rd hole in the signpost for proper alignment. Fasten (1) washer and (1) nut on each SILVER bolts. Secure hardware evenly by tightening each nut in an alternating pattern.
Note: SILVER bolts must be installed on the same side of the post. MAX TORQUE = 21 FT-LBS.
RED and SILVER CORNER BOLTS MUST BE INSTALLED ON SAME SIDE OF THE POSTS, AS SHOWN IN DIAGRAM.