Radio Frequency Labels
UL® Recognized Components
The products on this page are recognized under the Component Recognition Program of UL. The Machine Safety Labels sold by SafetySign.com have been evaluated by UL in the PGDQ2 category in accordance with ANSI/UL 969 and CSA C22.2 No. Learn more about UL® Recognition.
- Item #:
- Sign Reads:
- Caution Radio Frequency Hazard
- Sign Type:
- Surface Mount Labels. Apply labels to clean and dry surfaces.
- Constructed with UL Recognized materials. High degree of Chemical Abrasion and Heat Resistance.
- In Stock
ANSI Z535.4 PRODUCT SAFETY LABELS
To view and print a Informational PDF click on this link: Product Safety Labels Submittal PDF→
To Learn about the Materials used in the making of this sign, refer to the Tab called "Material Descriptions..."
1. Hazard Classification: Signal Word Selection
The first element to consider when designing or selecting a product safety label is to determine the likelihood and severity of a potential injury if a person does not follow the instructions contained on the safety label or sign.
There are four Signal Words or Hazard Classifications used in the design of an ANSI Z535.4 2007 compliant safety label: “DANGER”, “WARNING”, “CAUTION” and “NOTICE”
Click on this link to view Signal Word Classification
Click on image to Zoom →
Safety Alert Symbol: Use & Color Definition
ANSI Z535.4 2007 Revision has clarified the Safety Alert Symbol, use and respective colors, it has also incorporated the ISO 3864-1 general warning symbol as an alternate option. See image to learn how to use the safety alert symbol, what colors it should be, and when the use of certain versions (Image D & E) will comply with ISO 3864-2 as well.
2. Safety Label Format: Message Panel
The message panel of any new ANSI Z535.4 2007 compliant sign or label must contain:
- Identification of the hazard
- Identification of a means to avoid the hazard
- And the consequences of not avoiding the hazard
The order in which the information appears in the message panel is flexible and should be determined by logical factors related to avoiding an injury, such as:
- The target audiences knowledge of the hazard
- And the reaction time to avoid the hazard.
In addition, we recommend, when formatting the message pane,l to consider the following practices:
- Use headline style text
- Use active voice statements
- Avoid prepositional phrases
- Use left justification of the text except on one line messages
- Use upper and lower case letters
Click on this link to view & print Brimar's Standard Label Sizes
Click on image to Zoom →
3. Safety Symbols:
ANSI Z535.4 encourages the use of safety symbols that communicate a comparable message to the worded message on the sign or label. The safety symbol when selected properly, should identify:
- The hazard
- Identify a means of avoiding the hazard
- Or identify the consequences of not avoiding the hazard.
The safety symbol should clarify or reinforce the worded message on the label. There are four types of safety symbols used on ANSI Z535.4 compliant product safety label. When using safety symbols to comply with ANSI, the symbol can be black on a white background, other colors may be used, like safety red for fire related symbols, and so on.
To comply with both ANSI Z535.4 and ISO 3864, then the following applies, ISO 3864 2002 standards required that all of the safety symbols used on international product safety labels be within a surround shape, yellow equilateral triangle with black inner border for hazard alerting symbols, blue circle for mandatory actions, and red circle with 45° degree slash for prohibition symbols. ANSI Z535.4 2002 does not required the use of a yellow equilateral triangle or the mandatory surround shape but, it does recognize it and permits their use.
Click on this link to view ANSI Z535 & ISO 3864-2 Safety Symbol Classification
4. Safety Label: Letter Size Legibility
Determining the safe viewing distance of a sign depends upon many factors:
type font and visual acuity.
Other factors to consider in determining sign size include:
the complexity of the message, the reaction time necessary and the angle the label will be seen from.
In many situations it is better to use multiple smaller labels that are strategically positioned than one large label.
Many times letter size may need to be larger than the values shown on the graphic for a variety of reasons:
To make the sign more noticeable from other information displayed in the area.
To enable legibility under low light, or other poor viewing conditions.
To alert persons sooner than the minimum safe viewing distance.
To convey special importance for portions of the message.
To improve legibility for persons who have vision problems with small text.
Example of text message letter heights and *minimum safe viewing distances.
* Minimum safe viewing distance refers to the closest distance a person can be to the label and still have time to follow the safety label's message to avoid the hazard.
5. Safety Labels: Recommended Label Placement
It is well recognized that in many instances, well designed and properly placed safety labels can increase operator and maintenance personnel awareness of the inherent hazards involved when working with machinery.
When installing labels on equipment we recommend to keep in mind the following criteria:
- Label needs to be readily visible to the target audience (personnel that will be in contact with the hazard)
- Label needs to alert the viewer to the hazard in time to take appropriate action.
- Labels are required to be applied on or adjacent to the area where the hazard is present.
- Labels are required to be permanently affixed to the equipment.
- Ensure the surface to which the label(s) will be applied on is clean and free of dirt, dust, grease and moisture. If the surface is painted, paint must be dry.
- Press the label on after applying it to the surface. One or more passes over with a rag or roller will ensure that the label is completely glued on the surface and will not fall off.
Links to Industries and Government Institutions Governing Signs:
POLYESTER LABELS MATERIAL DESCRIPTION
Label Material: Adhesive Backed Polyester Film with Clear Polyester Over lamination:
Description & Attributes
ANSI Z535.4 Product Safety Signs & Labels specifies performance requirements for the design, application, use and placement of safety labels and signs that are intended to identify hazards that a person may encounter while operating or servicing a variety of products.
- Description: Adhesive Backed Polyester Labels have been designed to comply with ANSI Z535.4 2002 & 2007 Product Safety Label Standards. Labels are screen printed with UV inks and over laminated with Clear Polyester to ensure a high degree of chemical, abrasion and heat resistance.
- Material: 2 Mil White Polyester with Hi-Performance pressure sensitive Acrylic Adhesive backing (UL® File No. MH10170 / CSA File No. 099241 L000) 1 Mil Clear Polyester film coated with a clear pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive (UL® File No. MH10170 / CSA File No. 099241 L000).
- Printed Image: Printed image is sealed between 2 layers of polyester. Polyester offers superior chemical, abrasion and temperature resistance to vinyl labels, image is screen printed using UV resistant inks.
- Adhesive: Aggressive solvent based acrylic adhesive with excellent adhesion properties on a broad base of application substrates such as Stainless Steel, Acrylic, Glass, Coated Metals and Plastics.
- Packaging: All machinery safety decals are available in convenient packages of 5 or bulk packages of 50.
- Specification Compliance: Machinery Safety Decal comply with ANSI Z535.4 2002 & 2007.
- Outdoor Durability: 5 to 8 years
- Material Flexibility: Conform to either curved or flat surfaces.
- Service Temp Range: -40°F to 302°F
- Min. Application Temperature: 50° F
- Performance: Resists abrasion, most chemical spills and suitable for high temperatures.
- Surface Preparation: Clean & Dry
- Ink Features: Printed with UV Resistant Inks
- Printing Process: Digital or Screen Printing
- Over laminate: 1 Mil Clear Polyester
- Label Features: Round Corners and back-slit for easy installation.