ISO Mandatory Symbol Labels
- Item #:
- Label Reads:
- International Respirator Required Symbol
- Label Type:
- ANSI Z535.4 and ISO 3864-2 Safety Label. Apply to clean and dry surfaces
- Constructed with UL Recognized materials. High degree of Chemical Abrasion and Heat Resistance.
- Sold in 5 or 50 labels per package or individually.
- In Stock
ISO 3864-2 SYMBOL-ONLY LABELS
To Learn about the Materials used in the making of this label, refer to the Tab called "Material Descriptions..."
Click to download Brimar's Submittal Data Sheet for Safety Labels →
Can I use ISO Symbol-Only Labels and still comply with ANSI Z535.4?
ANSI Z535.4 2007 Revision: Incorporation of ISO 3864 Safety Signs & Labels One of the major changes taking place in ANSI Z535.4 2007 Revision is the acceptance of all the ISO 3864-2 formatted safety signs as a valid option for product safety labeling in the US.Annex C:The use of ISO safety signs for products ISO formatted signs have been in use internationally for many years. In some instances, some safety labels can be in conformance with ANSI Z535.4 and not with ISO 3864, in other instances conformance with ISO does not necessarily means conformance with ANSI. ANSI Z535.4 2007 Revision has decided that “Product safety information may be conveyed by ISO formatted safety labels in compliance with ISO 3864-2,Graphical Symbols - Safety colours and safety signs - Part 2: Design principles for product safety labels.”
ISO / DIS 3864-2: Design Principles for Product Safety Labels
ISO 3864-1 defines a safety sign as a sign that gives general safety messages, obtained by a combination of a color and geometric shape and which, by the addition of a graphical symbol, conveys a particular safety message.
ISO 3864-2 defines a product safety label as a means to alert personnel or observers of one or more potential hazards that describe the safety precautions and/or actions required to avoid the hazard(s).
ISO 3864-2 is applicable to all products in all industries that may pose a safety question, however, ISO 3864-2 does not apply to the safety labeling of chemicals or the transport of dangerous chemicals.
ISO recommends that, to increase the understanding of the safety labels and its components, product manufacturers should incorporate hazardous warnings into their collateral materials such as: operator manuals, safety manuals, maintenance manuals.
Layout of Product Safety Labels
ISO allows the use of symbol only labels and/or safety symbols with supplementary text labels. When a product safety label contains a single symbol, the layout of the product safety label should use one of the surround shapes below.
Safety symbols should be simple, distinct and logical, in order to be understood easily and interpred unambiguously.
To comply with both ANSI Z535.4 and ISO 3864, then the following applies, ISO 3864 2002 standards require that all of the safety symbols used on international product safety labels be within a surround shape, yellow equilateral triangle with black inner border for hazard alerting symbols, blue circle for mandatory actions, and red circle with 45° degree slash for prohibition symbols. ANSI Z535.4 2002 does not required the use of a yellow equilateral triangle or the mandatory surround shape but, it does recognize it and permits their use.
Click on this link to view ANSI Z535 & ISO 3864-2 Safety Symbol Classification
Use of product safety labels:
Products or machinery typically require more than one safety label to communicate both hazard identification and hazard avoidance information. That is why safety labels usually have the information combined into a single label or a combination or symbol-only-labels like, warning label (triangle) next to a mandatory action label (blue circle) and/or a prohibition label.
Safety Labels: Recommended Label Placement
It is well recognized that in many instances, well designed and properly placed safety labels can increase operator and maintenance personnel awareness of the inherent hazards involved when working with machinery.
When installing labels on equipment we recommend to keep in mind the following criteria:
- Label needs to be readily visible to the target audience (personnel that will be in contact with the hazard)
- Label needs to alert the viewer to the hazard in time to take appropriate action.
- Labels are required to be applied on or adjacent to the area where the hazard is present.
- Labels are required to be permanently affixed to the equipment.
- The surface to which the label(s) will be applied is clean and free of dirt, dust, grease and moisture. If the surface is painted, paint must be dry.
- Press the label on after applying it to the surface. One or more passes over with a rag or roller will ensure that the label is completely glued on the surface and will not fall off.
Links to Industries and Government Institutions Governing Signs:
POLYESTER LABELS MATERIAL DESCRIPTION
Label Material: Adhesive Backed Polyester Film with Clear Polyester Over lamination:
Description & Attributes
ANSI Z535.4 Product Safety Signs & Labels specifies performance requirements for the design, application, use and placement of safety labels and signs that are intended to identify hazards that a person may encounter while operating or servicing a variety of products.
- Description: Adhesive Backed Polyester Labels have been designed to comply with ANSI Z535.4 2002 & 2007 Product Safety Label Standards. Labels are screen printed with UV inks and over laminated with Clear Polyester to ensure a high degree of chemical, abrasion and heat resistance.
- Material: 2 Mil White Polyester with Hi-Performance pressure sensitive Acrylic Adhesive backing (UL® File No. MH10170 / CSA File No. 099241 L000) 1 Mil Clear Polyester film coated with a clear pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive (UL® File No. MH10170 / CSA File No. 099241 L000).
- Printed Image: Printed image is sealed between 2 layers of polyester. Polyester offers superior chemical, abrasion and temperature resistance to vinyl labels, image is screen printed using UV resistant inks.
- Adhesive: Aggressive solvent based acrylic adhesive with excellent adhesion properties on a broad base of application substrates such as Stainless Steel, Acrylic, Glass, Coated Metals and Plastics.
- Packaging: All machinery safety decals are available in convenient packages of 5 or bulk packages of 50.
- Specification Compliance: Machinery Safety Decal comply with ANSI Z535.4 2002 & 2007.
- Outdoor Durability: 5 to 8 years
- Material Flexibility: Conform to either curved or flat surfaces.
- Service Temp Range: -40°F to 302°F
- Min. Application Temperature: -50° F
- Performance: Resists abrasion, most chemical spills and suitabel for high temperatures.
- Surface Preparation: Clean & Dry
- Ink Features: Printed with UV Resistant Inks
- Printing Process: Digital or Screen Printing
- Over laminate: 1 Mil Clear Polyester
- Label Features: Round Corners and back-slit for easy installation.